(NOTE: This rarely happens, but this week interviews have had some skipping, jumping, and jiving…which sometimes happens to the best of us. Apologies for anything that might be hard to hear in this interview as Skype and my Internet decided to go crazy this week. Must be all the turkey in the air.)
OK, so imagine you are Rob La Gesse and you are the Chief Disruption Officer (cool way to say “marketing”) at Rackspace, which sells online hosting for websites.
How do you get people to know, like, and trust your company? How do you become THE go-to resource when people ask themselves the question: “I need a good website host. Who should I go with?”
Do you buy a bunch of random banner ads? Spam the crap out of people on social media?
Or do you take another approach?
Guess what Rob and the good folks at Rackspace did? (Hint and spoiler alert….another approach).
In this interview, you will learn:
- Why Rob hired Robert Scoble, the most influential tech blogger in the world.
- Why Scoble is only a piece of the puzzle and the other online strategies Rackspace has been using to gain influence, trust, and of course sales.
- Who the “Rackers” are and why they have been the key to success.
- Why Rackspace DOESN’T send marketing and sales people to conferences.
- Who is tweeting? How Rackspace does social media and has had a ridiculous increase in literally every metric as a result.
- …plus much more.
Which of course leads to key questions: What would you have done if you were in Rob’s shoes? What takeaways can you use for your business?
Connect With Rob & Rackspace (and tell him you saw him on RISE!):
This Episode Is Ever-So-Proudly Sponsored By:
On The Run Mobil: Head over to On The Run’s website to sign up for the home team and get special deals on things like food and gas right to your email. It has been proven that buying gas at On The Run Mobil is 34949595% more fun because they sponsor RISE.
Shoeboxed: Business cards and receipts can be super annoying to deal with. Solution? Shoeboxed will send you a prepaid envelope, you shove them all in there, and they will digitize all of your receipts and business cards for you and give you access to them online. Sweet. Try it for free on me: www.shoeboxed.com/rise.
BidModo: Fellow entrepreneurs and small business owners, you need to get your butt over to BidModo.com, my friend’s new site that is all about helping you find service providers for all your business needs – and it’s free! It’s like craigslist on steroids where accountants, graphic designers, etc. compete for your business (nice!).
Download the introduction and first chapter of my upcoming book, Smarter, Faster, Cheaper, right here!
Make sure to circle back. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the book. And don’t forget – the book comes out on December 7th!
Have You Seen These Episodes?
- RISE #145: How Shama Kabani Built Her Massive Online Influence Through Social Media
- RISE #144: How Scott Ginsberg Turned Wearing A Name Tag Into A Six Figure Business
- RISE #143: How Greg Ng Created A Web Show & Business Around Eating Frozen Food
- RISE #142: Why the White Collar Brawlers Quit Their Desk Jobs to Become Amateur Boxers (and Turned It Into a Business)
- RISE #141: How the Founder of Shoeboxed.com Created One of the Hottest Tools On the Web For Entrepreneurs
Final RISE Lunch Of The Year Is Sold Out!
Looking forward to seeing everyone on December 2nd.
Reminders & News:
Subscribing: There are new episodes of RISE every Tuesday and Thursday (Monday, Wednesday, and Friday feature articles, blog posts, and other videos) featuring unique entrepreneurs, thought leaders, and other interesting folks here to help you build your business. You can hear about them first and have them directly delivered to you in a few different ways:
RSS: You can subscribe via RSS right here.
RISE is mobile friendly (sweet!) and can also be viewed right from the site on your mobile phone or iPad.
Connect With David & Hop Into The Conversation:
Book Update: Less than two months away from the launch of Smarter, Faster, Cheaper: Non-Boring, Fluff-free Strategies for Marketing and Promoting Your Business. Check out the book website and I hope you will pre-order your copy (and 10 more for your closest friends *wink*).