Audio Only Player
As you can tell when you watch today’s episode for a second, I’m ridiculously fired up about it. Why? Because for one thing, today’s guest, Michael Stelzner, is an incredible example of smarter, faster, cheaper entrepreneurship. He created Social Media Examiner less that one year ago for around $5,000. And take a look at what has happened since:
- 50+ “A-List”, high-quality bloggers contribute high-quality articles, videos, etc. monthly.
- They have literally millions of page views and nearly 37,000 email subscribers.
- Social Media Examiner went from an unknown to a powerhouse in just a few months.
- They are running successful online events that thousands of people pay for.
- Revenue has gone from $0 to over $1,000,000 in less than one year.
- Mike is having the time of his life and is exciting about his business every day
- …and the list goes on.
In this interview, I wanted to know (for all of us):
- How did this happen?
- Is Mike some kind of superhero?
- Was this really an overnight success story or is there a back story we don’t know about (spoiler alert: there is a great back story)?
- How did he get the site going?
- What were the keys to growing the audience and community?
- What are some of the mistakes and lessons?
- How did he get so many amazing people to contribute to the site?
- What are the future plans?
- What are lessons learned and tips for hustling entrepreneurs like all of us?
This is definitely a detailed-packed interview and my hope is you will find some inspiration for your business.
What do you think? Leave your $.02 below.
Connect With Mike (and tell him you saw him on RISE):
Make sure to check out Social Media Examiner for their upcoming events, articles, and more.
Thank you Pete Savage (former RISE guest) for setting up this interview. Pete is one of the great guys behind International Freelancers Day which takes place THIS WEEKEND online. It is a two-day conference and 100% free. I’m speaking on How To Build Your Business By Creating Your Own Smarter, Faster, Cheaper Web TV Show. Today’s guest, Mike Stelzner, is talking on How Facebook Can Supercharge Your Freelancer Business. There are 23 other speakers, including Brian Clark (Copyblogger), David Meerman Scott, Mari Smith, Jonathan Fields, and many others.
All you have to do is register right here, and it takes about four seconds.
This Episode Is EXTREMELY Proudly Sponsored By On The Run Mobil
A local sponsor today (hey, a little love for St. Louis!). Head over to On The Run’s website and enter your email to sign up for the home team. You won’t receive SPAM and instead will receive delicious discounts on everything from snacks to car washes. NICE.
Reminders & News:
Subscribing: There are new episodes of RISE every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday (Tuesday and Thursday feature articles, blog posts, and other videos) featuring unique entrepreneurs, thought leaders, and other interesting folks here to help you build your business. You can hear about them first and have them directly delivered to you in a few different ways:
RSS: You can subscribe via RSS right here.
iTunes: You can get RISE episodes right to your iTunes, iPhone, iPad, etc. right here.
RISE is mobile friendly (sweet!) and can also be viewed right from the site on your mobile phone or iPad.
Connect With David & Hop Into The Conversation:
Book Update: Less than three months away from the launch of Smarter, Faster, Cheaper: Non-Boring, Fluff-free Strategies for Marketing and Promoting Your Business. Check out the book website and I hope you will pre-order your copy (and 10 more for your closest friends *wink*).