The concept of a sales pathway or "funnel" is pivotal in the digital marketing realm. But let’s demystify what it really means. Imagine having streams of internet traffic, viewers, and podcast listeners. That’s fantastic, right?
But traffic, by itself, does not equal sales. If you want to make money from your traffic, you've got to have a predictable way to convert those eyeballs into leads and sales.
That's where a sales pathway or funnel comes into play...
A funnel, in its simplest form, is a way to guide a potential customer through a journey with your business, from initial awareness all the way through conversion (a sale, a sign-up, etc.). One fundamental paradigm shift to embrace here is that traffic alone isn’t enough. The goal is to convert traffic into leads first.
Starting with a Lead Magnet
Begin by creating a lead magnet. A lead magnet is an incentive that marketers offer to potential buyers in exchange for their email address or other contact information. This could be a free PDF guide, an exclusive video, a checklist, a quiz, or even a short course.
- A checklist titled "10 Essential Tools for Wilderness Survival"
- A quiz called "What’s Your #1 Tennis Serve Killer?"
- A short video series on "Unlocking the Secrets of SEO"
Build the Sales Pathway - Don't Worry About Exposure Yet
In step three, we'll learn how to utilize platforms like social media, YouTube, blogs, or even paid ads to attract visitors. For now, your focus needs to be on building the sales pathway or "funnel." Once it's complete, move to step three.
Converting Leads into Customers
Having collected email addresses through your lead magnet, you now have a way to continuously engage with your leads. This could be through an email campaign, where you nurture your leads, providing them with more value, and eventually introducing them to your product or service.
Consider this simple yet powerful funnel structure:
- Lead Magnet: Capture attention and collect emails.
- Email Campaign: Engage, nurture, and introduce your offer.
- Your Offer: This could be an online course, a product, or even advertising for other companies.
Imagine you’re in the self-defense business. Your funnel might look like this:
- Lead Magnet: A 3-video series on practical self-defense techniques in everyday scenarios.
- Email Campaign: Automated emails providing additional tips, stories, or insights, creating a connection and building trust.
- Offer: An extensive online course covering self-defense in various situations, available at a special price for a limited time.
Tools like *Leadpages can help you set up a landing page for email capture, even without a full-fledged website. There are numerous tools available, many affordable or even free, to facilitate every step of the process, from email marketing to landing page creation.
The beauty of a funnel is that once it's set up, it works for you around the clock. It’s a system where you feed traffic in at the top, and at the bottom, out comes customers.
*Note that we are an affiliate for Leadpages, meaning we may earn a referral fee (at no additional cost to you) if you make a purchase through our site.
If you’re interested in diving deeper and setting up a funnel for an online course, "Create Awesome Online Courses" offers comprehensive step-by-step training.
And don’t forget to sign up for our emails to receive weekly tips and strategies to optimize your funnel! 🚀